Sunday, August 17, 2008

Wonalancet Range

Day hike, just me and my Mom..Dad had to work. We headed up to the White Mts. to visit my cousin Jack. He's my Mom's only grandson, as Lyndsey and Kyleigh are girls like me. A quick visit with Jack and my other brother (human) Jesse. Then off to Wonalancet to climb the Wonalancet Range trial up Mt. Wonalancet in NH. It was a nice climb up. Guide book says steep, shortest, most direct route up....guide book is right! VERY STEEP. But a quick hike compared to some we've done in the past. We ran into no other hikers...PERFECT! Been raining alot up in the Whites so the mushrooms were quite in abundance. We've been trying for a few years to learn about mushrooms. We have our favorite edibles, like oyster mushrooms...we picked a good feed of them part way up. Mom picked and photographed many others to record and identify. We climbed straight up rock ledges just short of the summit. We had snacks on the ledges and took pictures of the storm over Mt. Chocorua, we sort of laughed at the weather Gods of the Whites because we were going to climb Chocorua today but changed our minds at the last minute, phew! .....well here is my first advice...don't EVER laugh at the weather Gods of the Whites, it will come back to bite you in the butt!!!! You guessed it, the storm made it from Mt. Chocorua to us in minutes. We delt with the wind, and the rain, and the thunder and the lightning...but the hail, NOT SO GOOD> Mom picked me up and tucked me under her shirt and kept on a-hiking! TRU WOODSMAN...well, WOODS WOMAN! Hail let up, she let me down and we made a quick decent in the pouring rain, it was actually quite refreshing after the long hot trip up. It was an awesome "girls day out " hike with my Mom...and sooooooo good to be far enough away from route 1 to hear "QUIET" aaahhhh, the good life of Moxie, Adventure Dog.

No comments: