Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mt. Aggie (pt.1)


A moutain on the coast? Actually yes, Mt. Agamenticus in Ogunquit, Me. It's the highest point of land on a coastal plain from Maine to Costa Rica. It's only 692 feet above sea level but on a clear day, from the top, you can see from Mt. Washington, north, to Boston, south. We hike it alot, in every season. On this day we decided to snowshoe a four mile loop around the middle of the moutain. We didn't summit, but instead, spent alot of time in the woods.
We were all struck at how much damage was done to the trees on the mountain from the ice storm a few weeks ago, damage everywhere! It is so sad to us, we love "our" trees!
We headed up the trail, Mom & Dad on snowshoes. I was light enough to run across the top of the snow crust. And run, I did. Run, run, run. I just love it! Stopping.........not so easy. Lots of "slide stops".(see video) When the folks stopped to rest, they take their snowshoes off and sit on them, I sit on one of their packs. We have a good routine in the woods, after all we spend so much time out there.
We stopped on Second Hill and Dad cooked us coffee and chicken noodle soup, I also got "beggin bacon strips"...my favorite snack! It was a beautiful afternoon in the winter woods. I took turns riding on Dad's shoulder or in Mom's coat on the trip back to the van. I, Moxie Adventure Dog, must be the only "husky" (ha! ha!) Who gets to ride instead of pulling a sled! I LOVE MY LIFE!

No comments: