Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Imp (pt.1)


We decided to do a fall foliage hike, a loop trail up and over the Imp, (cliffs that are suppose to look like an Imp's (woods sprite) profile.

We woke in the van in Gorham, N.H. Heavy frost outside and on the inside of the van windows.....burrrrr. I cuddled with Mom and Dad and stayed cozy warm. Cooked a hot breakfast roadside and then continued on to the southern trail head, where we'd be coming out and walked the road the .03 miles up to the northern trail head. Low and behold a jeep in the parking lot had a licence plate that read " IMTOAD" Will I ever live down the toad biting thing of a few weeks ago? ha! ha!

We headed up, and I do mean UP, the north trail, 2.2 miles straight up. PHEW! That'll tighten up a little dogs leg muscles! But as always, I summited first, Mom got a good picture of me in the sun looking back down on my poor winded parents. And why do I want to get to the top first? Little Cesar! I always get yummy food at the top, then with full belly, I kick back and enjoy the view. AND WHAT A VIEW WE HAD. The Presidentials. Magnificent! Maddison, Jefferson, Mt Washington, the Wildcats ect. Did I mention the COLOR! Wow!

A few other hikers summited while we were up there, a nice young couple from Mass. and a couple with two big labs. None of us had ever met but all shared the love of these gorgeous and enchanting mountains.

From where we were we could look down on the parking lot at the Mt. Washington auto road and all the way to the summit of Mt. Washington.......so vast it was hard to get on film. We had lunch on the 4 mile decent through birch groves, with many glimpses back to Mt. Washington. WHAT AN EXTRAORDINARY FALL HIKE!

No comments: