Sunday, September 21, 2008

Big Rock Cave/Whitten Brook


Bear!.........but we'll get back to that later. Mom & Dad both had to work Sunday, so we just planned a day hike on Saturday. Back up to the Sandwhich Range in New Hampshire. We hiked up the Big Rock Cave Trail to, yup..Big Rock Cave...AND HOW!!!! Big cave formation created when the glaciers deposited huge granite erratics in a giant jumbled pile. It was such fun exploring. I bet indian kids lived and played there years ago. We continued on to Whitten Brook trail and followed the brook for awhile. I got to hop across lots of brook crossings. Dad says I'm getting really good at it...better than Mom! We cooked lunch at one of the brook crossings, we just sat and ate and watched the little waterfalls, so tranquil, so peaceful, I slept in Mom's lap. It was a nice ridge walk in the afternoon with more "downs" than "ups". Great day, perfect cool fall hiking weather. Dad and I stopped because we heard a noise in the woods, I thought it might be a chipmunk, it got louder, Dad thought it was a deer at first then he got a glimps of it and still thought it was a hiker and his dog, IT GOT LOUDER....Mom saw IT...well ,THEM, first. BEAR>>>WITH CUB!!!!! Mom's survival instincts set in, first she yelled "Moxie SIT DOWN!"...I did, I didn't really know why she was hollerin but I knew she ment it! Then as the bears were running towards us...not charging just running at us not knowing we were there, Well Mom give another holla " BEAR...SHOO BEAR...GO AWAY...and she banged her hiking poles togther and scared the pee out of the both of them. The mother ran away and baby ran up a tree for a minute or two then joined her mom on the run. You see nothing can stop a mother bear from protecting her young except..... a mother woodswoman trying to save her yorkie!!!! MY MOM WON! oh my life IS an adventure!

No comments: