Monday, September 8, 2008

Flat Mt. Pond


Flat Moutain pond adventure for this weekend. Van camping with Mom & Dad Friday night. I woke up early ready to hike...have I mentioned I LOVE!!!!!! to hike! We cooked breakfast at the van. On the trail before 9:00am, in the rain! Mom and Dad put big blue ponchos on over themselves and their packs...honestly they looked like two huge blueberries. Myself, I was sporting my "hunter blaze orange" raincoat....we must have been quite a sight, that is if anyone saw us, nope no one else crazy enough to hike today! As it turned out the sun came out and we were just ordinary hikers, me and my "large packed parents"!We came on to Flat Mt. Pond around midday and spent a few hours exploring, it was a huge moose wallow! I thought I'd play moose and jumped into the mud WHOPP! "HELP, QUICKSAND!" the mud sucked me down, Mom rescued me phew! We found Flat Mt. Pond shelter and a hand full of nice young men from a private school out for orientation,camping there. We love to see them out here, once you fall in love with the outdoors you'll always come back,for adventure and solace. We continued on to about 6 1/2 miles out and set up camp by an awesome brook. Big campfire then we just got dinner cooked when the rain came...in buckets. Poured all night. Mom and Dad took turns keeping wood on the fire and we watched it from our tent for hours (see video) We stayed dry all night cuddling in the tent, lulled to sleep by the rain. By morning our little brook was a raging river. Everything was sopping wet, but the sun came out and we had a perfect hike out on a loop trail. Dad carried Mom over a couple of river crossings, I made it across all the rivers, except one all by myself! On our way out we saw lots of mushrooms and salamanders. All and all another incredible weekend, even the rain was warm and no...I mean NO bugs! go figure.....and the weather, just a little hurricane blowing up the east....I AM ONE TOUGH ADVENTURE DOG...I AM MOXIE!

No comments: