Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Bershires/Mt. Greylock


EVEN THOREAU WANDERED THESE HILLS!

..."Yes,yes Lovie, I've heard the Berkshires were lovely this time of year"!!!! Off we go on another fall excursion. We left town Friday morning...AGAINST holiday weekend traffic! Across southern New Hampshire and Vermont. More stunning fall foliage. Mom made me a bed up in a laundry basket, so I could see out the window too. Down into western Massachusetts to the Berkshires...BRILLIANT! By nightfall Dad had found the trailhead up Mt. Greylock. ( I helped, I'm great reading the delorme maps) We parked the van and cuddled down, van camping for the night.

In the morning we had a great blueberry pancake breakfast...Maine blueberries brought from home. Actually My favorite part is the BACON, love it! With full bellies we headed up Mt. Greylock (highest moutain in the state) We followed the Money brook trail to Money brook falls. Pretty falls, a MUST COME BACK IN THE SPRING kind of place. UP, UP, UP all afternoon, moseying, exploring, enjoying the beautiful fall weather, couln't have been nicer. We found an old fireplace, reminants of years past. We took a few breaks, I like to rest on Dad's pack.

We could see the tower on Mt. Greylock from a long ways away, but when we actually summited and saw it, I was shocked at how big it was..it made me look soooo small ha! ha! We stayed on top until we saw the most awesome sunset. We walk down to our campsite in the near dark. It was a COLD crystal clear night. We had an owl right outside our tent so Mom & Dad wouln't let me out alone.

Had breakfast at a picnic table on Stoney Ledge, unbeileible view down to the Hopper and up to Greylock. We met some "ultra run-hikers" nice guys. On the way down we met a really nice lady and her freinds. Turns out she's an artist...a good one too! Sounds like she loves outdoors and kids just like I do.

Thank goodness for Monday so "Adventure Dog" can rest! What a weekend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi moxie ... my name is kasi & i met you when i was in the woods on money trail with my mommies but i liked you sooo much that i really did not want to go with them , i wanted to stay with you & run some more but my mom called so hard that i had to leave you. we kind of look alike but im bigger so i felt really great playing with you cuz every one else is usually bigger than me!! i sure hope i can see you again in the woods someday,i will be looking...have more great adventures..bye woof woof kasi